Saturday, December 6, 2008

Topical Blog Post #4


Kobe Bryant has recently released his brand new sneaker, the Kobe IV. This latest signature shoe from Nike, is a low top shoe. Low top shoes are unheard of in the basketball sneaker world, therefore Kobe is trying to be a trend setter. 

I am a big fan of sneakers and spend loads of cash on shoes. While looking at my empty wallet and the brand new Kobe sneakers, I questioned my spending on materialistic things. I wondered a little about how many children had to make those shoes. 

Indonesian labor advocates have accused Nike of employing Indonesian children under 16-years-old to produce their sneakers, paying them less than 2 dollars per day. Even Michael Jordan's sneakers were involved in a child labor scandal.

I am not going to stop buying sneakers from Nike, but I feel we must take time to remember where the shoes come from. As Americans we should understand how much money we spend on materialistic things and be thankful for the opportunities we have at home. 


1 comment:

camccune said...

It's a slick looking sneaker.

* Hyphenate "a 16-year-old boy" but not "children under 16 years old"
* $2 or two dollars (not 2 dollars)

9/10