Saturday, November 29, 2008

FOG Index Assignment


For my FOG Index assignment, I decided to use a paragraph from my recent term paper on blogs. This seemed to be the proper sample of my writing due to the fact I am posting this on a blog. Below is the paragraph...


"This technology must be understood by individuals within public relations campaigns of company due to the fact they are used and understood by the general public. In today’s technology driven world, blogs are the quintessential tool for providing good public relations for any company. Blogs give companies and their employees their own voice on the web as well as a place to collect and share ideas and pertinent information with customers and potential customers, thus making corporate blogs a great public relations tactic for any company."

In my results,  I had 28.6667 words per sentence, which 17 hard words. The total for this equation is 28.66 + 17 = 45.66 x 0.4 = 18.26. According to the text, a reader would have to have a college education to understand my writing. I feel this is a little over exaggerated, and it seems that the results are based more on the number of hard words within my writing then the actual content. Maybe next time I shouldn't use a term paper as the sample for my writing. 

1 comment:

camccune said...

You could use something other than a term paper next time...or just vow to write shorter, active-voice sentences. That's what made your FOG Index so high.

For example, your first sentence is passive voice ("must be understood by") and unclear. I guess you're trying to say that corporate PR people need to understand how the general public is using blogs...but it's hard to tell. You could also replace the wordy phrase "due to the fact" with one word: since.