Saturday, November 29, 2008

My Kind of Magazine


For the past 2 years I have had a free subscription to the Hip Hop publication XXL. I am a music driven person so I love any type of publication which features music, but I tend to enjoy the ones that focus on Hip Hop. Since I was a young teenager, I have been reading music publications including The Source, Rolling Stone, VIBE, Murder Dog, Blender, and most recently XXL.

I enjoy XXL because the magazine covers the urban music genre in a direct fact driven way. Most magazines tend to overlook the Hip Hop genre unless it is commercialized Pop Rap. Other publications seem to push agendas of record labels and favorite certain artists, XXL seems to be more diverse than the other magazines featuring articles from all artists and honest album reviews. Although the XXL publication has actually become slightly weak with their content within the past couple years, they have the respect of the industry due to their past work. Futhermore, the magazine has a great online community, which allows readers to communicate with the editors and other readers to share their opinions and suggestions. 

XXL magazine is my magazine of choice for the moment, it may be partially due to the fact that I have a free subscription. But I will always be interested in reading music publications. Maybe I will be reading The Source again in 2009. Overall, it is great material as long as it is music related, Hip Hop or not. 

1 comment: